I have been a photographer for nine years now. I have seen my fair share of clothing styles and have been asked every single question you can think of when it comes to photo sessions. The most common question I receive is, “What should we wear?” Styles have changed throughout the years, so I am here to give you some of my best tips when it comes to dressing your family for photos.
What to Wear for Family Photos
I know that choosing what to wear for family photos can be stressful. Choosing outfits might be the thing standing in the way of scheduling your family photos.
Here are four easy tips for picking out clothing:
- Don’t overthink it! You don’t want to be too matchy-matchy, but you want the colors to go together. I suggest picking three colors and go with those.
- You want the same color tones. For example, all pastels, all jewel tones, or you could even go all neutral. Cream or white can be thrown into any of these color tones as well.
- Simplicity is in! Grab the outfit that makes you feel the best and a color that goes with your skin tone. If you are on the warmer side, choose to wear warm colors such as mustard yellow, cream, burgundy, etc. The same goes for cool tones. Try white, gray, blue, etc.
- Don’t be afraid of patterns or textures! Not everyone should be in a pattern, but two out of four is okay! One in plaid and the other in polka dots is totally fine! I also would put one person out of four people in a texture. Texture is a great substitute for a pattern if you need to use it, but don’t feel like you have to add it in.
Finding a Photographer for Your Family Photos
- Start with someone you know who has used that photographer. Word of mouth is the best here!
- If #1 doesn’t apply to you or the photographer’s style wasn’t your taste, a simple Google search or Facebook search will do.
- Find a photographer that has a style you absolutely love. It is worth the investment.
Moms, if I can tell you anything, it would be to get those family photos taken at least once a year. Be in them with your kids, and during your session, take one with just you and your partner.
I hope these tips have helped you! Here are some examples of outfits:
Originally published March 2019.
The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author. They do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of ABQ Mom, its executive team, other contributors to the site, its sponsors or partners, or any organizations the aforementioned might be affiliated with.