Oh, the joys of pregnancy. Being pregnant is an experience unlike any other. You’re giving up your body to grow another human. It is no easy feat and comes with a lot of changes– some expected and some not. Fortunately, there are a lot of ways to navigate the changes pregnancy throws at you. So, if you’re pregnant (congratulations!) or looking to get something for the mommy-to-be in your life, here is a list of maternity must-haves for every trimester.
First Trimester Must-Haves
The first trimester is arguably the roughest. Many women experience morning sickness, nausea, food aversions, fatigue . . . you get the picture. Here are some first trimester must-haves:
- A big water bottle – Hydration is key throughout pregnancy and this one comes in a variety of sizes and colors.
- Tums – great for heartburn
- Metamucil – constipation happens
- Ginger Ale/Sprite
- Saltine Crackers
- Sour candies – Many of the ABQ Mom team recommended sour candies like Sour Patch Kids as a great tool to combat nausea and morning sickness.
Second Trimester Must-Haves
The second trimester is usually when things start to get better. Morning sickness and nausea seem to fade and your energy levels may return though there are still plenty of changes to expect. Here are some things that can help get you through the second trimester:
- Belly Band – These are helpful when maternity clothes are too big but your non-maternity clothes no longer fit.
- Compression Tank Top or Belt – One fellow ABQ Mom said this helped alleviate some pain in her belly and back.
- Leggings – Leggings are a pregnant momma’s best friend.
- Layering Tank – Layering is super helpful for your growing belly. Plus, the extra compression helps to smooth your belly underneath your clothes while also hugging your belly.
Third Trimester Must-Haves
You’ve hit the home stretch! Speaking of stretch, things are really growing in the third trimester. Here are some things to help you finish strong.
- Pregnancy Pillow – Sleep is hard enough, but this pillow helps with some of the challenges.
- Comfy Underwear – One thing I regret not buying more of during my first pregnancy was maternity underwear. It sounds silly, but your growing belly may cause your pre-pregnancy panties to roll down, bunch, or simply not fit correctly anymore.
- Cocoa Butter or Bio Oil – These are great for an itchy, growing tummy.
- Compression Socks
- Humidifier – Congestion is a common symptom and can really impact your sleep.
Do you have a favorite, maternity must-have item? Share it in the comments! If you’re starting to think about life with a new baby, check out our top ten list of newborn essentials!
Originally published May 2021.
The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author. They do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of ABQ Mom, its executive team, other contributors to the site, its sponsors or partners, or any organizations the aforementioned might be affiliated with.