This past week the ABQ Mom team was able to provide prepared Thanksgiving meals to human trafficking survivors who are in safe housing with Spoken For, a part of the New Mexico Dream Center.
I couldn’t believe how much food was piled up in the back of my car. It’s a privilege to serve our community, even in small ways. And serving together just makes the impact even bigger.
If you’re looking for a last-minute Thanksgiving recipe, here are all the dishes we made earlier this week to deliver. Maybe you’ll find just what you’re looking for.
Charcuterie Assortment from Andrea
This entry doesn’t exactly have a recipe per se, but maybe you’ll find some inspiration from her photos.
Green Bean Casserole from Nicole M.
Nicole brought a green bean casserole made from a recipe she found on Pinterest. Here’s the link!
Both Paige and April contributed mashed potatoes because can you really have too many creamy, fluffy mashed potatoes? Nope!
Here’s a link to see how April makes hers. And Paige’s recipe is below.
CLASSIC MASHED POTATOES RECIPE
1 stick butter
1/2 C cream
1/2 C milk
salt and pepper
Peel and chop potatoes into cubes.
Cover potatoes with cold water and bring to a boil. Boil gently for 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft and mash easily with a fork.
Drain potatoes. Scoop portions into a ricer and rice all potatoes into another bowl.
Combine butter, cream, and milk in a small saucepan to warm the cream and melt butter.
Pour over potatoes and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Sweet Potato Casserole from Lauren
*4c sweet potatoes cubed
*1/2c white sugar
*2 eggs, beaten
*1/2 tsp salt
*4 tbsp butter, softened
*1/2 tsp vanilla extract
*1/2c packed brown sugar
*1/3c all-purpose flour
*3 tbsp butter, softened
1/2c chopped pecans
Watch a quick video of Lauren making her dish here.
Macaroni and Cheese from Gina Lee
16 oz. medium shell pasta, uncooked
8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
8 oz. colby jack cheese, shredded
8 oz. part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup half and half
1 cup heavy cream
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter an 8×11 baking dish and set aside.
- Fill a large pot or dutch oven halfway with water, add a pinch of salt, and bring to a boil. Add in shell pasta and cook according to package instructions. Drain the pasta once it’s done.
- While the pasta boils, use a wooden spoon to mix the half and half, heavy cream, half of the cheddar cheese, half of the Colby jack, and all the mozzarella in a large bowl.
- Mix the eggs until well incorporated with a wooden spoon.
- Add the drained pasta and the milk, egg, cheese mixture into your prepared baking dish, stirring to make sure the cheese mixture is well distributed throughout the pasta.
- Top the pasta with the remainder of the cheese. Sprinkle the top with Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, if desired.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until bubbly and nicely browned.
- Let the macaroni cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Cranberry Sauce from Margo
Margo makes this beautiful cranberry sauce from a recipe she found on Pinterest. Take a look here.
Pumpkin Pie from Katie
If you know Katie, you’ll know she doesn’t just settle for any old dessert. So you know this recipe has got to be good.