Being a California girl, I didn’t grow up with New Mexican chile. I had eaten and loved Mexican food my whole life. (Although I had never tried Mexican posole.) But, New Mexican food? It was new territory when I stepped onto the UNM campus for my college visit.
And I’m pretty sure I’ve made up for lost time since then!
I absolutely love New Mexican food! Red chile, green chile, enchiladas, sopapillas… give me all the food! But sometimes I want that home-cooked green chile taste without all the effort.
Enter this Crock Pot Green Chile Chicken Posole.
My husband’s family makes it all the time. It’s not like a traditional posole recipe. It calls for chicken in place of the pork. There are no red chiles. And I’ve never seen cheese in a posole recipe.
But you won’t even care by the time you finish your bowl.
When the weather cools down and you just want a steamy cup of soup, this posole should be your go-to green chile recipe!
It is so easy to make. Just chop an onion, dump all the ingredients, and you’re done! The crock pot does all the work for you and there’s only one pot to clean up.
The cheddar cheese soup makes it oh so creamy!
And the hominy and green chile give it an unmistakable New Mexican flavor.
We love to add flour tortillas to the menu, but a crusty bread would be delicious as well. You could top it with extra cheese, sour cream, cilantro, or anything else your heart desires. We prefer to eat our posole plain.
And the best thing of all is it’s perfect for so many occasions!
This is a great recipe for those winter days you are having guests over and don’t want to dirty up the house.
Or take it to a potluck or church event! This posole is sure to please a crowd.
It’s also the perfect easy meal to bring a friend that’s recovering from being sick. The chile always clears your nose right up!
While you’re shopping for ingredients grab an extra tub of green chile for Vanessa’s End-of-Summer Fire Roasted Chili recipe!
Easy Crock Pot Green Chile Chicken Posole
– 2 cans chicken breast or 3 frozen chicken breasts
– 1 white onion, diced
– 2 (10.5 oz.) cans cheddar cheese soup
– 1 can original Rotel
– 1 small tub (13 oz.) frozen chopped green chile (can sub fresh)
– 3 (15.5 oz.) cans hominy (add juice if space allows)
– salt and pepper to taste
1. Dice the white onion.
2. If using frozen chicken breasts start with them on the bottom of the crock pot.
3. Next, add diced onion and frozen green chile on top of the chicken.
3. Add remaining ingredients to the crock pot. Be sure to put the hominy in last, adding the juice only if there is room.
3. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
4. If using frozen chicken breasts shred it using two forks. Stir and serve while hot.